From:
Debbie Collins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 May 2001 08:41:19 -0400

Thank you from all the nice people in Ft. Collins and Colorado Springs!
Fort Collins Shopping:

Alfalfa's -- (a Wild Oats Market) -- Fabulous health food
store/deli/range-free meats, GF flours, foods, etc. It's on College Ave
and Foothills Parkway.

Vitamin Cottage -- Another great health food store. It's on College Ave
and Troutman Parkway.

Fort Collins Food Co-op -- A great alternative/organic market in the
heart of old town. It's on Mountain Avenue near Coopersmith's brew pub.

Good restaurants are Casa de licioso located at 244 E. Foothills Pkwy,
just south of the Foothills Fashion Mall.  The menu is pretty limited
for GF but the machaca flautas are gf minus the green chili.  The salsa
is gf as well as the chips.  I personally sat down with the cook and
went over everything, even the browning sauce for the machaca beef.

Also, Jason's Deli, located on E. Harmony Rd by the Safeway store is a
geat place.  The sandwhiches look so yummy it's a shame I can't try
them.  They have great stuffed potatoes that can be personalized if your
son asks for a manager to take the order, do not eat the sour cream though.

Also the Salad Company which is just west of the mall has a great salad
bar and also a potato bar, not much of a choice but at least an option.

Also there is a mexican restaurant downtown called the Rio Grande who is
more than willing to sit down with you and discuss gf foods.  Their
ranchero sauce and enchilada sauce are both gf.  Also another mexican
restaurant downtown, can't recall name but will look it up if interested
has excellent homemade and fresh corn tortillas that are gf.

Youngs (a Vietnamese/French place) seems to have a good selection of
excellent selections not involving gluten.  They seem to use corn starch
for thickeners. But ask. Wok & Roll provides oriental fast food which,
they tell me, does not include any gluten. But again, always ask.

Sri Thai -- Excellent Thai cuisine with safe GF ingredients. I recommend
the curries and the Phad Thai's (noodle dishes). It's on Elizabeth and
Taft Hill Road, not far from CSU campus.

Los Tarascos -- Authentic Michoacan-style Mexican/seafood made by a
personal friend Hugo Caballero and family. They make their own corn
tortillas.  Very safe and very good. Their enchiladas with the green
tomatillo sauce are
safe as are the fajitas, garlic shrimp, and shrimp Diablo. It's on
College Avenue between Laurel and Mulberry (near campus).

Outback Steakhouse -- You've read on this list what's safe there. It's
on Harmony Road.

Lonestar Steakhouse -- It's basic meat and potatoes. I order the prime
rib and sweet potatoes with no trouble. It's on Troutman Parkway and
College Ave.

Suehiro -- Great Japanese. If your son likes sushi. Tell him to bring
his own soy sauce though. It's on Linden Street in Old Town.

Mt. Fuji -- Another good Japanese place. It's in a little strip mall off

College Ave. and Boardwalk.

Young's Cafe -- Wonderful Vietnamese. I know the owner, and know the
ingredients are safe in the curry and lemon grass sauces. I also know
they use real rice paper for their spring rolls and no soy sauce in
them.  It's just past Foothills Parkway off College Ave. in a little
mall where Red Lobster is.

Lucile's -- Cajun. It's in a great old Victorian house off Meldrum and
Magnolia -- near campus. Fabulous breakfasts. I eat the rice pudding
porridge and the Cajun breakfast with no trouble. Obviously, he'll have
to pass on the biscuits and beignets though.

Jay's Bistro -- It's fancy fusion food but all homemade -- everything.
So just ask the server, and you can be sure you're getting exactly what
you're told. Jay Witlen, the owner is a personal friend, and his staff
has bent over backward to ensure that I get no gluten. Jay's is
currently on the corner of Oak and College in Old Town, but will be
moving in August just across the street on Oak.

El Burrito -- A local Mexican dive that's been a landmark forever. I eat
the green chile plate with no trouble. It's on Linden, just north of Old Town.

Taj Mahal -- Fabulous Indian food. The owners are very savvy about
gluten issues. I eat the masalas with no problem. I usually order Lamb
Boti Masala.

It's wonderful. The Taj is on Oak St. in Old Town, just west of Jay's
Bistro.

Colorado springs

 Primitivo-  28 S. Tejon, 719 473-4900, www.primitivo.com A
sophisticated place in downtown Colorado Springs.   We made reservations
with Mike, who assured us the gluten intolerance could be handled.    We
enjoyed the Tasting Menu featuring the wines of Italy.  It was a 5
course menu, and needed only 2 moderations to accommodate me.  Leaving
off croutons, and eliminating the almond cookie that came with the panna
cotta. They change the featured menu once a month, so call to see what
is being served when you go.

Cliff House, 306 Canon Ave, Manitou Springs7 719 685-3000 or 888 212-
7000 www.THECLIFFHOUSE.COM  and enjoyed their 3 course Early Dining
special for only $20.00.  Chef Rob offered me a substitute dessert which
suited me fine.  The Veal Tenderloin was great, and served with roasted
eggplant ratatouille, none of which had to be modified.

The last evening we went to Gertrude's,  2625 W. Colorado, in Colorado
City, 719 471-0887, which says on the menu that they serve rice pasta on
request.  Their menu was the most limited I came across because many of
the dishes with the full dinner had soy sauce in the marinade.  They are
known for a flourless chocolate cake, which was very good, but they will
not disclose the ingredients, so if you have multiple sensitivities, you
might beware.  I ordered it, since I felt the chef had enough
understanding of gluten intolerance to understand the hidden sources.  I
had no problems after eating it.

Broadmoor The Broadmoor is renovating in many areas, so some restaurants
were not available.  The breakfast buffet was really nice and I took my
bread with me for them to toast on a clean pan.  I watched the omelet
being cooked and there was nothing glutenous looking within reach, and I
had no problems.  If you are ever wanting a nice breakfast buffet in
Colorado Springs (for ($14.00), this is the place to go.

Other places recommended but not enough time to try, were:

La Caretta, a small Mexican restaurant, very knowledgeable and with
delicious food.  Even their margaritas are okay.  Located at Iowa and
Kiowa.

Jun Sushi in the northern part of town.  Local resident takes her own
tamari.

Petite Maison, French, on Colorado Avenue.  Lovely.

Mona Lisa   A fondue restaurant outside Colorado Springs.  The person
posting this information said they called ahead, and the chef prepared a
special cheese fondue so it would be GF.  Same for the chocolate fondue
for dessert.

Outback Steakhouse was recommended by a new local celiac, who has not
eaten out since being diagnosed.