From:
JONATHAN W MARTIN <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
JONATHAN W MARTIN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 20:36:14 -0500

Does anyone know about the blood tests diagnostic for celiac disease? Specifically, anit-gliadin antibody-IGa and IGg? I have celiac disease and noticed my 6 yr old child was becomming more and more sick (over time) after eating. I decided to take her to the doctor and they did these blood tests. IGa was negative. IGg was positive. I was also told  that these could be a false-positive and false-negative.

I really would appreciate any feedback you could offer. After I was diagnosed, I was told it would be very unlikely that my children could have the disease because both parents would have to carry the gene for it (and my husband does not have the disease, that we know of). I also want to mention that besides feeling so sick (mostly nausea and feeling need to use the bathroom during or right after eating) after eating that she really doesn't fit the picture of celiac disease. She is average height and weight (although I do know that she has not gained even one pound over a year and has grown alot) and all lab values of normal range. The only other bothersome problem she has is that frequently she will wake up at night with excruciating pain in either her foot or somewhere on her legs.

Please let me know if you have any similar problems with your children that have lead to diagnosis of celiac disease or any other insight would be grateful.

jennifer