From:
Marcy Thorner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 2008 08:34:09 EDT

Hi,
Last Sunday, my family convened to celebrate my step-mother's 80th  birthday.
We went to L'Auberge Chez Francois in Great Falls, VA.

First, let me comment that this is a very fine, very upscale, very  expensive
restaurant. You definitely want to save this for special occasions.
Including drinks for a few of us but not the tip, it came to just over $100 per
person. They price their "entrees" between $60-$75, but the entree  selection
includes your choice of most of their appetizers, several salads,  and most of
their desserts (some other items are priced separately). The  selections are
varied, mostly French, and include exceptional seafood, beef,  veal, etc. The food
and the service were both beyond exceptional. (Dining there  is considered an
art and is never rushed; we were there for more than 4 hours.)

I chatted briefly with our waiter, James, who knew exactly what I was
talking about when I said that my daughter, Alix (age 15 but with extremely
sophisticated tastes for her age) needed to order gluten-free. James knew the
ingredients of almost every item on the extensive menu and was thoughtful  without
having to be told. One example was the "amuse bouche" (French for  entertaining
the mouth!), a tiny, 2-bite course that isn't on the menu but is  brought
before the appetizer. Most of us got a tiny taste of a very  interesting quiche;
James delivered to Alix a large mushroom cap  stuffed with tomato and crab.
Alix selected an appetizer of ham and quail  egg over fresh asparagus, which was
fabulous, and a mixed grill of bison, red  deer (venison), wild boar, and
partridge, with an assortment of very interesting  vegetables and a pureed
broccoli and potato side. There were about 25 entree  selections, not all as exotic
as her choices. Everything tasted amazing. Her  choices for dessert were
limited to ice cream and creme caramel. With dessert  comes a small dish of thin
cookie wafers and exceptional chocolate truffles. He  brought a separate dish of
truffles just for Alix without being asked. There  were 15 in our party, and
nobody had any complaints.

Despite the price, this was a wonderful experience for Alix. She's been to
some fine restaurants all over the U.S., but L'Auberge is in a class of its
own.  She ordered and ate with confidence, was treated like royalty, and enjoyed
every  minute of it. I was delighted that she had this experience and am
thinking that  it might be nice for her graduation or sweet 16.

I have no financial interest in the establishment.
Marcy in MD

*******
*******