From:
Lynn Pipher <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lynn Pipher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Nov 2003 20:01:58 -0500

You’ve got it all right! You are lucky, se we all are who is on GF diet.
People just don’t believe, that could be anything wrong with wheat and
other similar grains. It took me two weeks to realize that I am one of
those sensitive on gluten. I am GF for 8 years and those depression
symptoms are long gone. I was also on those pills, but is all over now.
Also it is all over in my family, but none of them outside of my hose took
my advice. I have four sons, and three of them are eating gluten free. One
is married, has three children with obvious symptoms, but he just refuse to
take them for test. I thing gluten interfere with his brain, because this
is not rational behavior.  It is hard to understand people why they giving
up their lifes for "piece of cake"after learning about toxicity of that
stuff. Wish you all my best!
-----
Good post.  I will look into this.  Thanks!
And... You can eat pizza again.  Just take an unopened box (not
homemade) of pizza crust to your favorite pizza place and they will make
a pizza for you.  They don't like homemade because they don't know
what's in the dough that might make you sick!
------------
You may well need supplements, but the problem
with gluten goes far beyond lack of nutrients.
It breaks down the blood/brain barrier and
tends to act as a drug it it's own right. People are
studying it, but there isn't a good consensus on
HOW it affects the brain, just that it does. White
rice flour (also non-nutritious) doesn't scramble
the brain like wheat does.

I take some B vites and calcium which has helped
me recover quite nicely. The calcium is Cal/Mag/Zinc/D
from Costco, and I take a lot (about 6 tabs a day). The B is
a multi b/c combo from Costco, and I take a lot of that
too. I just kept upping the dose til my symptoms went
away. I obviously don't absorb them well I would not
need so much! But they work!

-------
I have never posted to the list or responded to anything anyone has posted,
but I am a faithful reader of this list, and it such a huge means of
support for me. I, too am a biopsied celiac; it took two years before I was
diagnosed, and in that time, I started having panic attacks, anxiety when
dining out, and depression.  I went to a therapist, and she said the mental
and the physical were two different issues.  Before I was sick, however, I
was so vibrant and active. I have been afraid to pose the question to
anyone: is my emotional state linked to my celiac disease?  When posed to a
therapist, I heard "NO."  That was 4 years ago, and about 6 months ago, I
went back into therapy, and my doctor said that celiac disease can lead to
all of these symptoms, and that our precarious diet and constant monitoring
is--at least--a constant drag and at most--a porthole of depression and
panic and anxiety---and that diet can trigger anxiety.After 4 1/2 years, I
FINALLY feel some validation.  I have not seen the book you suggested, but
my doctor suggested  "Calm Nerves: Healthy Eating for" by  Victor
Lindlahr.  I have also read  How to Rest: Food for Tired Nerves and Weary
Bodies," for which I have been thankful--nothing worse than anxiety in the
middle of the night! Thank you for your post.I am sure so many others
already know what I am just learning, but seeing it at a time when I am
trying to desperately to put myself back together was so healing.  I am so
hard on myself, and after 5 years, I think I should just COPE with this and
get over it, but it is just now sinking in that I need to be more proactive
in my "recovery" and accepting of myself---your post hit home!
------
Although not diagnosed, I went on the celiac diet with hopes of improving
my depression. It has truly worked. I no longer have those horrible
overwhelming fatigue problems.  I also find that, for the most part, my
thinking is clearer.  I have been on this diet about two years now and I
hardly ever miss bread. At least not for the taste, only for the
convenience of buying it when I pass the section in the store.
I'll try to find a used copy of this book you suggest. Thanks for your post.
----
Thanks for your post--it was a great one.  I hope it will give you the
courage to post some more.

I have the book, The Brain Chemistry Diet, but when I took the paper and
pencil tests, I came out strongest in the "Dreamer" type, which is very
amorphous.  I figure I need to take the blood tests, but I couldn't find a
doctor here who would order them.  Now I have learned about a company that
will order for me just about any blood test available, so I can have it
done.  I do appreciate your reminding me of something I have wanted to do.

Just as a side note, I have done a *lot* of reading (and experimenting)
about diets and supplement plans, and while some of the changes I have made
(especially going GF and DF, then Paleo) have helped, none of them have
gotten me back anywhere close to 100%.  Now I am looking into heavy metal
poisoning.  I took a turn for the worse soon after having a number of
mercury dental fillings replaced, making me wonder about mercury. I almost
hope that is the real problem, so I can detox and get on with my Dreamer
life.  LOL.
------
You might look up Dr.Joseph.com as he says one should eat no flours of any
kind at all, and no sugar,or dairy and I was told that many yrs ago. he
also has a supplement that looks very good .
I live on tpn so I don't eat or drink
-------
Thanks for the nice post re Brain Chemistry. Judging by the number of times
people get flamed for their posts on this list, I would guess that A LOT of
us really, really need to read that book and do more than just be gf (or
need to really be gf - some people are so cavalier about it, but they
obviously cannot possibly really be gluten free).
--------
Thank you for sharing this information.  I will definitely try to read this
book.  There are probably many of us who are trying to take the same
direction.  I've been interested in brain chemistry and its relation to CD
for some time.  I have a degree in Psychology, and remember reading about
studies about the effect of glucose levels on psychological health.   Our
brain chemistry is a very delicate balance of many neurotransmitters.  It
all has GOT to effect us to be deprived of essential nutrients.  I too have
had vast improvements in my emotional and physical well-being since
becoming gf four years ago.  I am 57, and feel healthier than when I was in
my 30's and 40's!  Maybe this book will help me to feel even better.
---------
I have been on a gf diet for about 4 and a half months,
and it has done wonders for me!  I feel like a fog has
been lifted off me to.  Before I started on this diet
I had an aweful time keeping my concentration on a
topic.  I was even begining to stutter.  Very
flusterating!  My short term memory was aweful, and I
could make anything fall in the floor!  Now, today I
truely feel like a different person, and have alot
more confidents in myself!  I have never been
diagnozed with cliacs disease, just decided to try it
on my own.  I will never go back to the old diet
again!

To be continued. . .