From:
Kit Kellison <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kit Kellison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Sep 2002 09:51:48 -0700

Here is my summary for the query I made for
people with experience specific to McMann's Irish
Oatmeal (the kind I can find at my local Farm
Fresh grocery store).  I got 30 responses in 24
hours, and feel I have enough info to try it once
my gut settles down over accidental ingestion I
made a few weeks ago.  I feel confident I can
prepare this for family members in the meantime
without fear of getting sick myself.

Number of responses to post
as of 12:35 09-27-02:        30

People claiming to eat Mann's
Oatmeal without apparent gluten
reaction:                    20

People claiming reaction after
ingesting Mann's Oatmeal:     2

People recommending quinoa flakes
as substitute:                1

People wanting to eat oats, asking
for summary:                  3

People referring me to Mann's
website describing their risk
of contamination:
 http://www.mccanns.ie/       3

People warning me of lymphoma
consequences:                 1

People referring me to
www.celiac.com for some
good info on the general
consensus of the safety
of oats:                      3

One of the respondents who says she eats the
product regularly is so sensitive as to have had
reactions from other supposedly GF products such
as Pamela's and rice dream rice milk

One said he is so sensitive he even has curly
hair (Tom, is there something I am missing here?)

Two also recommended Wessex Irish Oats

One recommended the overnight soak method,
another recommended the McMann's Oatmeal cookie
recipe.

I think the incidence of reaction seems in line
with incidence of other food sensitivity, so I
will give it a try.  If subsequent posts don't
confirm these findings I will post another
summary, if not, I won't.

Thanks a bunch to all who responded, I really
think this is one of those things that will
definitely enhance my quality of life!

Kit Kellison