From:
Janice Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Janice Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Nov 2006 18:41:00 -0700

And one more (important) response about Vitamin D, from Mary/NYC:

- The classic paper on safe intakes of vitamin D and toxicity, vitamin D
blood levels, etc. is a 1999 paper by Reinhold Veith.  The free
full-text article can be found at: www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/69/5/842  I
have been reading the vitamin literature since going gluten free 5 years
ago.  All of the vitamin D experts are in agreement with Vieth. This is an
interesting, highly informative paper and understandable even if you have no
formal training in the area.  (I don't.)  Just a tip--this and most other
papers report 25D levels in nmols/L.  However, in the US (and other
places?), 25D is reported as ng/mL. To convert from nmols/L to ng/mL, divide
by 2.5.  I always grab a pocket calculator before reading vitamin D research
because I just don't think in nmols/L.

And taken directly from Veith's paper:

- Throughout my preparation of this review, I was amazed at the lack of
evidence supporting statements about the toxicity of moderate doses of
vitamin D. Consistently, literature citations to support them have been
either inappropriate or without substance. The statement in the 1989 US
nutrition guidelines that 5 times the RDA for vitamin D may be harmful
relates back to a 1963 expert committee report, which then refers back to
the primary reference, a 1938 report in which linear bone growth in infants
was suppressed in those given 45-157.7 µg (1800-6300 IU) vitamin D/d. The
citation is not related to adult nutrition and it does not form a scientific
basis for a safe upper limit in adults. The same applies to the statement in
the 1987 Council Report for the American Medical Association that "dosages
of 10,000 IU/d for several months have resulted in marked disturbances in
calcium metabolism ... and, in some cases, death." Two references were cited
to substantiate this. One was a review article about vitamins in general,
which gave no evidence for and cited no other reference to its claim of
toxicity at vitamin D doses as low as 250 µg (10000 IU)/d . The other paper
cited in the report dealt with 10 patients with vitamin D toxicity reported
in 1948, for whom the vitamin D dose was actually 3750-15000 µg
(150000-600000 IU)/d, and all patients recovered. If there is published
evidence of toxicity in adults from an intake of 250 µg (10000 IU)/d, and
that is verified by the 25(OH)D concentration, I have yet to find it.