From:
Susan First <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Susan First <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Apr 2008 06:45:50 -0400

I have to admit that I was a little intimidated, but I had NO problems as long as I chose carefully.  Maui was wonderful, I stayed in a resort about 3 miles north of Lahaina, and had dinners all over the place.  No problems.  They actually knew what Celiacs were.
I flew US Air from Detroit, to Phoenix, to Maui, and the same route back.  I found that they did not offer gluten free meals, but as I flew first class, I had more choice in what I got off the menu, and had no problems with the food.  I had taken a softside cooler as my carry on luggage, and put all my medications inside, including one that required refrigeration.  I had a 20 oz blue ice packet in a Zip Lock baggie, and was not challenged over this.  I also took Blue Diamond Nut Thins, and Sargento sliced cheese packages (just in case the food thing didn't turn out).  I ended up with that food coming all the way home with me.
Maui was great!  (but can be expensive in resorts).  I went for my son's wedding, so we had a passel of people going out, doing things, join family, join her family, join wedding party, it was marvelous.
I had lived on Oahu for 4 years while my husband was in the Army, so I know the island ways a little.  My sister-in-law was just blown over, and I am positive she will be dragging her husband back there.
Susan in Ohio