Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 1999 20:33:36 EST

Hi everyone-
I have received SO MANY responses.  All of them  very nice except for three
of them. The majority of people said they do not cheat on purpose because
they don't want to do harm to their bodies, even if they don't have a
reaction right away. Several people have delayed reactions (2-3 days later).

Two or three people eat small amounts of gluten on occassion with no reaction
and don't worry about it.

From the responses I have received, it seems like the sicker the people were
when they were diagnosed, the more sensitive they are to gluten.  Myself, I
was not really that sick when I was diagnosed, just occassional bloating and
diarreah. My weight was normal as was my iron and B12.

My doctor doesn't seemed overly concerned about it. He told me to try and
stay as gluten free as possible, but you don't need to obsess about it. He
told me not to be afraid of eating out and that I could try eating oats if I
wanted.

I haven't tried oats yet, but I don't worry about vinegar.

Once again, I quess it is just a personal choice. Some people choose to
smoke, or drink alcohol, or consume other things that they know are not good
for them.

Also, there is so much conflicting information out there. If the cancer risk
was that high, doctors wouldn't be telling patients to do a gluten challenge.
They would also be testing people for Celiac alot more than they do instead
of just diagnosing them with "irritable bowl syndrome" , which is what most
doctors do. I know LOTS of people that have digestive symptoms far worse than
mine ever were and their doctors just tell them  they have IBS and to stay
away from the foods that make you feel bad.  The only reason my doctor tested
me was because one other family member has it.

Lastly, the only reason I posted Joe's nasty response is because I thought it
was completely unnecessary. I have heard from several other list members that
received responses like that from him. I just wonder why he feels the need to
respond so harshly.

Anyway, I hope everyone has a healthy, happy holiday.

Wendy