From:
Jill Tongen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Aug 2001 15:00:02 -0700

Thanks for all the wonderful breakfast ideas that do not require dairy,
grains, eggs, nightshade veges, yeast or gluten.  Here's a few of the

1.  Tuna salad, Egg salad,lox and soups.

2.  scrambled tofu with brown rice, cooked with soy sauce and a
little olive oil.

3.  garbanzo bean flour or nut flour or buckwheat flour (not a grain) to
make pancakes or waffles or bread (make a lot on the weekend and then freeze).

4.  smoothies made with frozen berries, bananas, and sorbet, juice, or
soy milk.

5.  hot rice cereal.  I like the one from Arrowhead Mills.  It's
quite bland, but good with a little sugar and sliced banana.  puffed
rice cereal.

6. Soy Shake.
1 cup White Wave plain soy milk
1/4 block tofu
3 to 4 frozen strawberries
1 teaspoon lecithin
2 teaspoons oil
artificial sweetener if desired (I never use it anymore)

Blend until smooth.

7.  Meat balls.  I saute minced onions then mix them in with ground
chicken and/or turkey & Lawry's season salt.  Shape into one inch
balls.  Bake in 350 degree oven for 20 minutes.  Store in tightly sealed
container in freezer.  Take out a few & microwave them for breakfast.  I
like them with steamed cabbage for breakfast.

8. Smoothies:
2 1/2 frozen bananas (broken into halves)
3 frozen strawberries
1 qt. or so of orange juice
1 tbsp. frozen pineapple juice concentrate
1-2 tbsp. of ground flax seed
Water in an amount that provides the consistency you prefer
(buy my bananas in large volume, peel them and place them in a plastic
ice cream bucket in the freezer (covered).  I sometimes buy fresh
strawberries, remove the stem, and freeze those.  Otherwise, I buy
strawberries frozen.  As to the OJ, I like to buy the NFC (not from
concentrate) type.  Certainly you can use frozen concentrate, but it
does affect flavor.  If using frozen, I would suggest purchasing the
kind with calcium added.  I just started adding flax seed per a post to
this site.  I grind the seeds in my coffee grinder and that sure
works well.  The reason I break the bananas in half is that helps the
blender get going.

9.  peaches and GF graham cracker crumbs from
http://www.glutenfreedelights.com  or http://www.glutensolutions.com
Also:  peaches, raspberries, strawberries or other fruits in rice milk
with a little sugar or vanilla powder or maple sugar from gluten
solutions.  Pamela's pancake mix is made from bean flours and you can
make it lactose and egg free with egg replacer.  That is also from
Gluten solutions or http://glutenfreepantry.com

10.  I like eating leftovers for breakfast.

11.  How about Quinoa cereal - you have to cook it, but it's very good.
They also have quinoa flour.

12.  You need to think of breakfast in an unconventional manner.  I have
a hamburger pattie, organic, grass fed, with a slice of mozzarella
cheese on it, you could use soy cheese, only organic soy.  Chicken
nuggets, breast, baked or cooked in lite olive oil, or Full of Life
gluten free bread with organic butter, no margarine and fruit preserve.
Mid morning almonds or sun flower seeds.

13.  Lundberg makes some very good brown rice cakes and can be crumbled
up & eaten w/ milk sub (kind of g.f. shredded wheat.)  It also makes a
good traveling cereal since the rice cakes are often pre-crumbled when
you arrive.

14.  How about beans.  Red beans and rice.  Dirty rice, stirfry some
veggies (maybe with fruit, or have fruit alongside).  Have you checked
Ener-G foods in Seattle for a "bread" you can eat?  The Japanese
frequently have a breakfast of a soup and rice.

15.  Rice flour pancakes are good. You would need to use an egg & mild
substitute of course. I make a full batch & freeze leftovers with wax
paper between them. To warm you can either toast them or microwave them.

More to come later.

Jill/Texas