From:
renee euler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
renee euler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Oct 2011 14:27:23 -0500

Below is my original post and the responses. If I learn anything new on our trip, I will be sure to update you all.

We are heading to the Grand Canyon in a couple of weeks and are staying on-site at the park for two nights with one night in Flagstaff. I was wondering if anyone has had any success with the dining options on-site at GCNP? We will be driving so we will be able to bring plenty of food with us and will make a stop at Picazzo's(!) in Flagstaff - and so I would happily subsist on cold GF pizza the whole time, but I was wondering about anyone's experiences, so I know just how much food to bring.

The most recent archived messages are basically asking the same thing with no real specific information. Any recent experiences out there?

-- We were there a couple of years ago and managed to find food for my son at various places. He, however, was about 10 and could easily survive on burgers, hotdogs and chips which are often okay (minus the buns, of course). You may not care for that kind of fare. ;-) We ate at the Bright Angel Lodge for breakfast one morning and he had eggs and fresh fruit.

-- We were there in the spring on the south rim. We stayed in the park at Maswick Lodge. Because it was off season most of the cafeteria dining options were closed. The one that was open at Bright Angel was always packed. So we avoided it.

We told them that we had a food issue and they put a refrigerator in the room. The in park grocery store actually had a lot of great GF options. Of course they had the typical naturally GF items, like yogurt and fruit. But they also had cookies, snack items and even pasta. The selection was limited because it is a small store but I was surprised there was anything at all.

Most of the breakfasts we ate in the room from the food we brought and what we got at the store. Lunches were typically picnics that we ate on the trail. Again we packed those ourselves.

We ate dinner each night at the El Tovar. This is the larger fancier hotel. They really seemed to understand special diets and worked very hard to make great meals. They did not have a GF or an special diet menu but they were definitely prepared to accommodate.

-- Several years ago we stayed at the El Tovar. The dining room had gf bread and pasta. I ate there successfully but make sure to speak with the manager and chef. I don't know about the other restaurants in the park.
-- I don't have any suggestions for GCNP but I know that I NEVER miss going to Picazzo's in Scottsdale when we go to Spring Training.  I could live on their pizza, too...and love it cold, as well.

-- Apparently the Village Market on the South Rim has a large selection of GF goodies. There is a very brief review on our site, GlutenFreeTravelSite:
http://glutenfreetravelsite.com/Village-Market--Canyon-Village-Marketplace-/25/977.php

-- When I visited a few years ago, I was able to find safe items at the self service cafeteria at the Lodge (lower level).

-- Sorry, I don't remember what I ate!  We also ate at Picasso's at Sedona - wonderful!

*******
*******