From:
Roy Jamron <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Roy Jamron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Sep 2007 20:47:05 -0400

With regard to my prior post on the effect of using flaxseed as an egg
substitute to increase GF bread volume and reduce cave in tendency
(illustrated in "Tips & Recipes" at http://www.gfbakingpans.com ), I
only received a few replies.  Two mentioned the flaxseed egg
substitution method is described in some recipe books.  However, I got
my information by simply Googling "flaxseed egg substitute".  One
reply reported:

"For several years I have been adding flax seed ground in a coffee
grinder to my breads and baking. I started using it to add nutrition and
then noticed it made my breads more substantial and tastier."

I did some further research.  By Googling "flaxseed bread volume", I
found that flaxseed meal making up about 25% of wheat bread results
in decreases wheat bread volume and increases rising time.  But this is
expected for wheat bread.  The addition of flaxseed meal reduces the
amount of gluten in the wheat bread.  The problem is corrected by
simply adding gluten to the flaxseed/wheat flour recipe.

However, for gluten-free bread, the story is different.  If  you
Google "flaxseed gum", you will find a wealth of knowledge.  Flaxseed
gum, derived from flaxseed mucilage, has properties similar to xanthan
gum and guar gum.  Flaxseed gum has been shown to improve muffin
height and volume and is also used in salad dressings.  Depending on
the reference cited, flaxseed gum can be extracted from flaxseed and
makes up about 5% to 13% of the flaxseed.  The amount of mucilage
in flaxseed varies widely depending the source of the flaxseed crop,
see:

Crop Sci 46:365-371 (2006)
Variation of Mucilage in Flax Seed and Its Relationship with Other Seed
Characters
Axel Diederichsen, J. Philip Raney and Scott D. Duguid
http://crop.scijournals.org/cgi/content/full/46/1/365 .

Hence, different baking properties may be expected from using various
sources and varieties of flaxseed.  The first step in extracting flaxseed
gum from flaxseed involves placing the flaxseed in water near the
boiling point, 90° to 100°C.  Therefore, the egg substitution method,
which involves steeping 1 Tbsp ground flaxseed in 1/4 to 1/3 cup
boiling water per egg for 10 minutes, results in flaxseed gum
separation making the gum more readily available during baking.
Steeping flaxseed in boiling water may be a necessary step in using
flaxseed to increase gluten-free bread volume and height.  Just adding
dry flaxseed meal to a gluten-free bread recipe may not be as effective.

* * *