From:
R. Robare <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 14:56:07 -0500

Hello,
Another suggestion for chewable calcium was Nature's Plus (milk free)
chewable calcium supplement.

After my summary, a fellow listmate told me caramel viactiv was not
gluten free, I called Mead Johnson today, spoke with Kayla who assured
me all 3 flavors are currently gluten free.

Tums is another matter all together, some stated it is not gluten free-
sources were Clan Thompson Guide to Non Prescription Meds which states
there are trace amounts of gluten and another person recently called the
company and was told the flavors contain trace amounts of gluten.
I am adding this post because it was very informative -

Just remember that you need Calcuim, Magnesium, Vitamin D and Zinc all
together to get the benefits of the calcium.  I am 38, was diagnosed with
osteoporosis 2 years ago after a bone density scan.  (It is my husband
who is celiac, not me.)  and was told by my doctor that you need all of
the above vitamins, so Tums alone is not good enough.  Also have to split
up the dosage am and pm because you can't absorb more than 500 mg at a
time.

When looking in the archives there was lots of info on Tums.  For
myself, I would not consider Tums because I want the added benefits of
the other nutrients to assist in absorption.

Thank you for all the valuable info, Rita