From:
Sheryl Tingley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 19:54:27 PST

Hi list,

A funny thing happened to me tonight. I cooked a pot of black beans and ham
for dinner. When I started to mix up the cornbread that I usually have with
it, I realized that I didn't have any corn meal. I had to use something so I
took out some buckwheat flour and used that in place of the corn meal. It
was wonderful. The way I cook cornbread makes it come out very moist and
soft. So I cooked the buckwheat bread the same way. Here it is.

Corn bread / Buckwheat bread

Start by putting 1/4 cup gf oil in a 9X9X2-inch baking pan (I use pyrex) and
place in oven as it is preheating to 425 degrees.

1 cup gf flour mix
1 cup corn meal or 3/4 cup buckwheat flour
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
4 Tablespoons sugar
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk (I used lactaid 100)

In a mixing bowl stir together flour, cornmeal or buckwheat flour, xanthan
gum, sugar, baking powder, and salt. In another bowl beat together eggs and
milk. Add to flour mixture and stir just till batter is smooth.

Pour into bread pan with hot oil (be careful to not spill). Bake in oven for
25 minutes or until knife comes out clean.

The buckwheat is a very nice change and is also great with beans.

Enjoy, Sheryl Tingley

        "Friendship is a sheltering tree"  ;)