From:
JOSEPH L NATHAN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jan 1998 17:50:42 -0500

I don't know if I am a celiac or not. I think I am.   I do know when I
avoid glutens that I don't get the galloping diarrhea I get when I eat
them. I had the two blood tests.  One came back negative and one came back
borderline.   (I do not intend to have a biopsy since what I am doing is
working for me, and I certainly would not go back on glutens in order to
make the biopsy definitive.)

My question concerns the result of accidentally ingesting some glutens.
How long does it take to show that you have made a mistake?  Two hours?  A
day?  I eat out a great deal and order my restaurant meals avoiding glutens
as best I can.  I find that waiters are most helpful in informing me if
there are flours in the sauces, gravies, etc.  So far it has worked pretty
well.  But every now and then -- while I don't get diarrhea, I do have a BM
which is not quite right.  Do I blame it on the last-eaten meal? Sometimes
that meal is one I ate at home where I know darned well I had no glutens.
I am trying not to make the same mistake over and over again.

I notice several very useful posts concerning gluten free foods, etc but no
posting which show the symptoms of mistakes.  Do they vary that much?

Thanks,
 Joe