Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 2000 08:08:29 -0800

I have a question I've been wondering about: do any of you out there have a
wheat allergy or intolerance (without being celiac) who do get definite
reactions from wheat, but have separately tried rye and barley and get no
reaction?

I know docs all over the place seem to diagnose that people have wheat
allergy or intolerance, but don't have celiac. I'm wondering if perhaps
these people are just misdiagnosed celiacs. Or not. I'm not committed to
either answer.

But my doc diagnosed me as wheat intolerant, but not celiac. I believed him
for years, but then tested: I react just as strongly to rye and barley as
to wheat, and also am lactose intolerant, which goes with celiac. In
addition I'm Irish. I think he's wrong. -vance