From:
Victor Dolcourt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Victor Dolcourt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Sep 2012 11:11:45 -0700

Dear Listmates,

The gluten free community tends to eat a lot of rice - either as a grain or
in popular gluten free foods such as bread and pasta. Here is a new article
from Consumers Union about rice:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2012/11/arsenic-in-your-food/index.htm.
You've probably already heard the news that at least some rice
contains a
high amount of arsenic. Consumers Union advises consumers to limit
consumption of rice products. For those who eat rice cakes, a nice
alternative is Real Foods Corn Cakes from Australia. They are easy to get
and sell for $2.20 to $3.00 or so per tube.

What are the other alternatives? One alternative that I just discovered was
millet grain. Yes, it is a common component of bird seed, and not a lot is
consumed by people. I trooped down to our closest Whole Foods market (some
Asian grocers also sell millet grain) and found that they had it both bulk
and packaged. The grocery guy said that they sell lots of it and had a hard
time keeping the bulk bin filled. An internet search revealed you can make
it 2:1go 3:1 (liquid:millet grain). 2:1 gives you pilaf and 3:1 gives you
porridge. Apparently, it was the original couscous before semolina wheat
took over. We made it with 50% chicken broth and 50% water using the 2:1
ratio. We also added a sprinkle of Marigold vegetable bullion. The millet
was a little bland but harmonizes well with food. A little garlic and other
herbs and spices would make it a smart dish. It cooks in 20 minutes. Cook
it just like rice, and don't stir the pot even once.

Vic - Sunnyvale, CA