Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 1995 09:43:57 -0400

Martha,

Martha wrote "I never have loose stools, but I am frequently constipated and
this comes and goes in cycles.  It tends to be worse in summer when the
pollens are out.
(I have severe allergies, food included)"

For what it's worth, I've was diagnosed with Celiac (with a biopsy) and have
been on a gluten free diet for more than 25 years.

My primary problem is constipation and gas. The diet has improved the
situation, but not corrected it entirely. I also find that my symptoms become
worse for a period of weeks or months. I cannot find any connection with
accidently eating something that may have gluten (I am extremely careful, but
gluten hides in so many places).

I also am highly allergic to many, many things. I don't know that the fact
that I have so many allergies is in any way connected to the fact that I am a
celiac.

At the Baltimore meeting, constipation was listed as a symptom of Celiac.

Martha, obviously I would not suggest that you have celiac, but I would
suggest a biopsy, just in case.

Laurie
New Jersey