From:
Joy Mendez <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joy Mendez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 May 2008 16:00:15 -0400

Interestingly, I got many suggestions about why my GF bread doesn't tend to soak up
liquid. Mostly we don't seem to know why, but the number one suggestion was to heat up
the bread in a microwave before soaking. Regarding the use of specific breads for such
recipes, I have found that GF breads of different mixes, sources and recipes tend to be
this way in general. Some people tend to find success with just one brand. I have used
whatever I have on hand--sometimes it's Breads by Anna, sometimes it's a from-scratch
recipe, sometimes it's another mix. In my mind, the point of making French toast or
(especially) bread pudding is to use up what bread you have on hand--not to go out and
buy something specifically to use in the recipe. I think I will try warming the bread up a
bit in the oven or microwave before soaking it. After that, I may try one of the other
ideas.  At the end of of the third post is a recipe that Rita sent for bread pudding that all
of you searching for a good recipe may wish to try. Thanks for all your input!

Joy

Suggestions from list members:

I have noticed the same thing. The only bread that I have had good luck with for french
toast is the gluten-free "sandwich bread" from Whole Foods. I soak it for triple or
quadruple the normal amount of time in an egg and milk mixture, which seems to work,
but I basically need to push it down into the mixture so it is completely covered. Certainly
different than regular bread!

***********

I have noticed that most gf flour mixes don't seem to absorb liquids like wheat flour, too.
Cookies "puddle" more.  Cakes seem okay since they are in a pan shape, but they do
require more baking time so they are not soggy in the middle.

I guess gf flours are just not absorbent like wheat flour.
*********

I believe if you zap the bread in  the micro wave it becomes moister and thus more
permeable.  With sandwich bread zapping makes it much better and you can take it for
lunch in a bag and it will retain moisture.  My experience is when I zap it for lunch it
absorbs the mayo or the butter. You will have to experiment with time.

**********

I have heard that it's best to warm the bread first in the microwave (even sprinkling a
few drops of water), and then fry it for French toast.  It will be most like regular French
toast then.

When I want to toast GF bread, I do the same thing: I warm up the bread first to get a
little soft (maybe 25 seconds), and then I toast it in my toaster oven.

*******

I use a fork and poke holes in the bread while it sits, and I've found that Ener-G white
bread works well for this. My husband likes another; I'll check with him.

I've got your solution! I use Kinnikinnick breads and I toss the slices in the microwave
first then they're better able to sop up the eggy liquid and they make great french toast!
:)

******

Sorry to hear about the bread pudding, I've been wanting to make some.  When
making French toast, after soaking (it does absorb some) the bread in the
egg mixture & putting onto the griddle, I poke holes w/a toothpick and pour
some more egg mix onto it, it absorbs a bit that way.  These breads are a
mystery!