From:
Diane Holmes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 May 2000 17:03:26 -0700

A couple of noteworthy response to my post on blue and roquefort
cheeses:

# 1
Your post said:

>Most makers (including Roquefort Societe, Papillon,
>Gabriel Coulet) use lab fabricated penicillium roqueforti (the
>cheese is "injected" with the bacteria during the maturation process.

This fabricated penicillium sounds GF to me.

It looks like at least some blue cheese is gluten-free.

>The roquefort maker Carles sticks to the traditional method: mold is
> grown on rye bread, then extricated from the bread, and mixed into
> the cheese curd before it is put into the moulds.

This particular brand would not be GF.

>From what you have stated, roquefort/blue cheese will be off
>limits to us which is a real shame.

If one can verify who the manufacturer is and what the process is,
then I don't think ALL "roquefort/blue cheese will be off limits to
us"

#2  Boars head blue cheese is gluten free.

Diane
PS   If (when) I hear again from the French cheese expert on the gf
status of Roquefort, I'll pass it on.