From:
Jeff Overton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jun 1995 14:45:31 -0400

To Elizabeth and anyone else who may be interested:

Fibromyalgia is a widespread muscle pain disorder that targets mostly
women between 25 and 50. It is not a pathology but a syndrome which one
must have a number of symptoms to meet the criteria for diagnosis. For
example one must have widespread muslce aches and pains. There are 18
tenderpoints on the body that when pressed are very painful. There is
sleep disturbance so that people with FM do not get enough of restorative
type sleep Delta Sleep. As a result the muscles are unable to repair
themselves sufficiently from day to day use. There is no cure for FM only
managing symptoms through exercise and medications to help sleep. I have
had it for about 2 years now and I have stopped all meds for it because
it was aggravating the Celiac problem. It usually takes a Rheumotologist
or a Physiatrist to diagnose this condition properly as it is still not
entirely accepted by the medical community. It is a very real condition
however and can be quite debilitating. Elizabeth if you have any further
questions you can e-mail me at my address and I would be glad to answer
any other questions you may have.

Lisa Overton
Guelph, ON Canada...