From:
Pixilated <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Apr 2000 06:38:13 -0700

This post upsets me.  With no offense to the poster or the original author -
I find it to be fuzzy logic at best.

year to introduce wheat and oats to my 2 year old.  He stated that even if
they have the genes, waiting will reduce the likelihood of developing celiac.
Additionally, when a child is older, it is easier to recognize even a slight
reaction.<<<<<<<<<<<

As an adult who knows that Celiac is genetic and that it is a lifelong
incurable condition I can see no reason to follow this Dr's logic
"...waiting will reduce the likelihood of developing celiac..."

I as a child was held off the gluten containing grains simply because my mom
could not afford the baby foods available at the time.  I ate the same beans
and rice  they ate, and did not get introduced to breads and such until I
was old enough to bite and chew them.  Hence, I suffered a great deal with
many misdiagnosis and serious esteem and mental issues because I was told
"all that was wrong with me was in my head."

I did not find out I was Celiac until I was in my 40's.

"Reduce the likelihood of developing Celiac"?  Not likely!  It only delays
the symptoms and makes you suffer unending years of pain, discomfort, and
mental duress at the hands of incompetent medical "professionals."

Off my soapbox,
Lynda Swink

                           ..
\|/ [log in to unmask]  \|/ \|/ So.CA \|/ _@V