From:
Maureen O'Grady <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 19 Jun 2005 15:01:46 -0700

Yesterday we were in San Mateo (California) about 40 miles from where we live.
On a whim, we stopped at Draeger's (a very upscale grocery) to see what GF
food they might have. I found just a couple things in the baking aisle, so I
asked the assistant store manager what else they might have that was GF. He
took me to the back of the store, where the sign hanging over the aisle read
"Gluten-Free Food" and pointed: ONE ENTIRE SIDE OF THE AISLE was gluten-free
foods! Okay, it was a short aisle, but still, this was the most GF food I had
ever seen in one place.

The manager came back a while later to talk to us, and I mentioned that I was
THRILLED to see so many choices in one place, but I wished that they had the
wonderful Mariposa Bakery brownies as well as the biscotti. A few minutes
later, he came back with a big grin on his face: Mariposa Bakery was doing a
tasting of GF foods in the front of the store and he had 2 brownies for me.

I didn't count, but I'd guess they offered at least 60 products and 12
different brands of GF products, and the manager also told me they had a GF
section in the freezer case, but I never managed to get to it. In the cereal,
bread and baking sections they use bright yellow tags to indicate GF products.

We made a few purchases of new things to try, and when we got home, I noticed
what is printed on their store bags: "Draeger's - Natural, Organic, and
Gluten-Free Foods."

There are two other Draeger's stores in the Bay Area, Menlo Park and Los
Altos. I haven't checked out their GF selections, but I certainly will soon.

I have no financial interest in these stores other than as a customer.

Maureen