From:
Patrick Koenig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Aug 2001 14:39:56 -0700

Hi List mates

Here's a summary of the responses I got regarding my 10 yo son's
positive EMA test from the  U. of M.

One person gave this web site to help interpret the results. I found it
to be very helpful. Thanks.

        http://www.celiac.com/frequent.html#probability

The overwhelming consensus was that the EMA is very accurate when it
comes back positive. (97% accurate) Rarely does it give a false
positive.

Most people said to be sure he has a biopsy done. It's scheduled for
September.

A couple people recommended putting him on the GF diet after the biopsy
even if the results don't show Celiac Disease.

Also, I was reminded that U. of M. will look at his slides after our
doctor gets done with them for a second opinion. I intend to send my
younger son's first set of slides there along with my older son's
September biopsy.

Thank You to all who responded. All the encouraging words were
appreciated. This list serve really has made dealing with Celiac Disease
very manageable.

Thanks to All! I'll respond again when we get the results of my sons
biopsy.

Beth