From:
ronald owens <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ronald owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Mar 2002 11:56:37 -0500

   Vance wrote encouragement for the use of fioricet (butalbital, caffeine,
& Tylenol) and fiorinal (butalbital, caffeine, and aspirin) for migraines.
I used to have migraines.  I know the desperation involved, but my doctor
quickly got me off this drug.  I'm pleased that Vance finds it helpful, but
I'm alarmed at hearing it called a "mild med."  No controlled substances
should be described as such, because, of course they can be addictive.
Vance also said he's been on it for 35 years and that "every doc I've ever
had hasn't hesitated to write me a prescription when I asked."  My daughter
has been using it for seven years, and she has had what I call an
irresponsible doctor do the same.  She just got out of a hospital stay for
detoxification of that drug. (It's one of the more serious detoxes, with
possible seizures and worse.) The problem with this drug is that continued
use may cause a rebound of more headaches!   And it's a catch-22.  You are
advised to take it immediately when you feel a headache coming on, which
means you may be taking it for mild headaches as well as severe ones, thus
perpetuating the addiction.  There are other problems possible with this
drug, including decreasing effectiveness of other drugs taken.  ALL drugs
should be taken cautiously.  Don't take my word for it (or Vance's or your
doctor).  Be informed.  My recommendation is DAVIS'S DRUG GUIDE FOR NURSES (
7th ed. is $32.95 from Amazon.com. Check 66 sample pages from the "Look
inside.").  Everyone should have such a book.  It could save your life.  And
in my book (literally), nurses, our No. 1 unsung heroes,  are more informed
and cautious.  I think many doctors are in a hurry and give in too easily.
  --Ron