From:
Mary Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Apr 1998 14:27:40 -0400

Karl wrote:

> I was wondering if there was a better way to facilitate the exchange of
> information.

I am answering to the list rather than replying directly to Karl because he
asked for a discussion.

I think the convenience and vaiety of posts on the list is much of its charm.

Admittedly, some posters (including, in the past, myself) have asked
questions the answers to which could be found in the archives. But
searching archives is both time-consuming (not a great excuse) and prone to
the intervention of digital devils that discourage many of us (a better
excuse)..

My practice is to assess my interest via the name lines and delete w/out
opening those that do not interest me--most days, the great majority.
When I have the time, however, I read more widely and generally feel
rewarded for my effort. Even in posts that seeem to have no application to
my situation, thee are often bits of applicable information and advice.

My opinion is that a further narrowing the post-able queries and info.
would be a bad thing.

Mary B
NYC