From:
"Thorn, Michael" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Thorn, Michael
Date:
Thu, 5 Jun 2008 08:56:13 -0400

I'm sure that there will be more but there were many comments!

"I think another concern is when our products are mixed in, somes flour,
etc.

from another gluten product gets spilled on it. I've bought cakes mixes,
brought them home and then realized they had some flour sprinkled on
them. "

-Interesting point!

--

"Although I am not wild about Whole Foods' selection or distribution of
GF foods, what I would really like is better signage.  I have started

else) that focuses on lots of fresh produce (sadly, very little is

organic or local) and a variety of other relatively healthy foods.

They have a small shelf for gluten free foods, but even better, they
have labels that attach to the price label on the shelves that indicate
which products that are gluten free.  THus, most of their GF foods are
scattered throughout the store, but because of the labeling, you can
actually find them without reading all the ingredients.  Thanks to this
labeling, I have been able to identify and try many different foods that
I would not have otherwise had the time or inclination to check out.
Good for the store' s bottom line, good for the customers who need to
eat GF.

For example, when I am standing at the cereal section, I can more easily
look for the GF labels than look for the particular product that we have
been accustomed to buying.  (Is it just me, or do all cereal boxes look
more and more alike?)

Personally, I like walking the aisles of the grocery store and finding a
variety of foods that I can eat in many different locations

- it makes me feel less deprived.    But I do need help in

identifying which foods are GF.  The Whole Foods stores in AZ do not
provide this type of labeling and so shopping at WF is much more time
consuming and disappointing than shopping at Sprouts."

----------------------------

 "They don't have that many gluten-free products, if you read the
allergy warnings on the back. A lot of products appear to be
gluten-free, but now have warnings about the facility or equipment, that
wheat products are made on it.

The gluten-free pasta and the gluten-free pancake mix and brownie mix
could be put in one spot, though. Our Trader Joe's doesn't have
gluten-free cookies or crackers or cereal. Some are smaller than others,
and ours is in the south suburbs of Chicago. They don't all have the
full selection. Ours only has gluten-free bagels. I don't even think
they have the GF ryeless rye anymore. They only keep the products if
they sell well consistently."

I think that everyone has a different feeling about dedicated
facilities.

-----------------------------------

There were several messages about the Duluth, Georgia store!

"I asked them to just mark gluten free foods for over a year, after the
new Atlanta store opened. When they finally put up gf tags, they missed
about 80% of the offerings. Again I complained but asked that maybe they
could group all the gf stuff together. All my requests went unanswered,
as did my requests in the store. Then one day about two months ago, I
went to pick up some gf flour in the Duluth, GA  store, and the entire
area had been transformed to being gluten free. It's absolutely
fabulous! This is in the Duluth GA location. Cereals, cookies, crackers,
baking mixes, pretzels, snacks...all the shelf stable stuff is there
now. Maybe you guys can reference that store, saying this is what they
should do in ALL the stores. Good luck!"

----------

"I would say just be glad you have a Whole Foods there and can shop for
the products they have even though they are scatered. I along with my
daughter and 150 other fellow Celiac's don't have a Whole Foods to shop
for the good products they carry. I visit them whenever I'm in an area
where they have them. They have such good products especially the bread
and in some areas like Washington DC they have some wonderful deserts to
die for.

I understand your frustration, you do have to walk the aisles but that
is better than the alternative!!"

---------

Where is everyone in Charleston!! Get writing!

"Thank you, Michael, for pointing this out!  I have complained to WF in
Charleston, SC, and nothing changes.  I thought it was just that
store!!!   They will hear from me on the web!"

--------

Hurray for San Ramon...send them thank yous!

"The Whole Foods in San Ramon, CA, now have a section of just GF foods,
although GF foods are available throughout the market, as well."

-------

"Michael, they built an entire bakery for us. Be gentle."

Unfortunately, many people have no idea they do it!

-----