From:
Rick and Laurie Lochner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Oct 1998 13:16:00 -0700

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for all your wonderful responses.  First of all, regarding
Lactaid Milk, all responses said that it is gluten free. This is the
Lactaid 100 fat-free and regular as well at the Lactaid 70%.  I have
been giving my 2 year-old Lactaid 100 fat-free, fortified with
calcium.  I found out today that this is the only brand of Lactaid
that has guar gum which may be what is causing my daughter to have
diarrhea.  I guess guar gum is known to have a laxative effect for
some celiacs.  One suggestion made to me was to use Lactaid drops in
regular milk.  I think I may try that.
  Next, regarding my question about Hodgson Mill Buckwheat Flour, most
buckwheat flour. The main reasons were that the buckwheat could be
cross-contaminated with wheat in the fields or in the processing
itself.  A few people said they have used buckwheat flour with no
problems.  Barb from Ohio suggested the Bouchard Family Farm where
they grow and mill only buckwheat on their farm.  A 3 lb bag of
buckwheat flour can be ordered by phone for $9.50 which includes
shipping. (1-800-239-3237).  Thank you all again for your help and
suggestions.

Laurie