From:
"Diane M. Craig" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Apr 1998 08:43:11 -0700

Hello everyone, especially those of you in Washington DC.  Our son will
be participating in a 4 day competition there in 2 weeks.  We have just
learned that the food service only distributes already-prepared food.
They will guarantee nothing to be gluten-free (except whole fresh fruits)
and are not in a position to make any adjustments.  Also, 2 lunches + 1
dinner will be eaten out, in restaurants.  If you know of restaurants
downtown and/or near the 4-H Center where he can get a gluten-free meal,
I'd really appreciate hearing from you.

Also, your other suggestions are welcome.  The center employs many
handicapped servers, the few supervisors do not purchase or cook the
food, our son can have access to the  main refrigerator and cafeteria
microwave, but they cannot guarantee he can do any other cooking, and as
this is a national competition, he is likely to be somewhat stressed
time-wise as well as mentally.  The only solutions I can come up with on
this short notice are (1) to package and freeze 12 meals and send them to
the center in dry ice for him to microwave, or (2) to go myself (the
center is willing to fly me there!) and improvise.  Hoping to hear from
some of you, and thanks so much for being there  -- Diane in CA