From:
Ken & Shari Weber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Feb 1997 20:17:29 -0800

Hi and thanks to everyone who responded to my request for help on
cooking without eggs.  Heres a summary of the responses I recieved.

I don't work for any of the companies listed before and please remember
that these are only ideas, not Doctors advice.

Re Egg Allergy:  A few stated that I may be reacting to the yolk part of
the egg.  That I could use two whites in place of 1 full egg in my
recipes.  A little more oil should be added to replace the lack of fat
from the yolk and the water should be decreased.

There is also a product called Just Whites that is powdered in a can in
the baking aisle of the supermarket.  I called the local Giant and they
carry it.  I wasn't told the company that makes it.  This is more
economical than using egg whites.  It can be used in Bette Hagmans Angel
food cake (whips well).

As far as replacers are concerned:

  Ener-g Egg Replacer is recommended, but has no taste and breads and
muffins etc dont raise as well.   Ener-g can be reached at 1 800 331
5222.  1/2 to 1 TBS of oil should be added to recipes.
  Also, I found Miss Robens has an Egg substitute.  They can be reached
at 1 800 891 0083.

Bette Hagmans 'More from the Gluten-Free Gourmet' has egg replace bread
using ener-g's egg replace.  This is also nondairy.  This book can be
ordered from Miss Robens also at the above number.

Re Egg Intolerance: Someone recommended that I should stay away from
eggs for a while (year) and then start eating eggs and taking digestive
enzymes to prevent the intolerance (if that's what I have).

thanks again for your help!

Shari in still snowless Philly