From:
Andrea Otken-Dennis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jul 2000 10:27:29 -0400

Hello fellow list-members.

Count me in on the frustrated many regarding ingredient labelling.
I just contacted General Mills/Betty Crocker regarding some "fun fruits"
that had no listing of any gluten containing ingredients in them. Grey
(who is not yet gluten free, but will be in a week) has been eating them
as have I. Well, it turns out that they are NOT gluten free.
These are Betty Crocker Hawaiian Punch and Pokemon fruit snacks (not
GF). The note from the manufacturer was dated today (email).

On a much better note, I have contacted Gerber regarding the citric acid
content of their baby foods. I am awaiting a full listing of gluten free
baby foods from them, but I can say that the citric acid in their foods
is made from beet, corn, or cane sugar, not from wheat or citrus.

I have also contacted Duncan Hines and they confirmed that their
frostings are ALL gluten free.

I have also contacted Beechnut for a gluten free status of thier baby
foods (I will send later).

and I have contacted OreIda about their gluten free products as well,
(which I will also send).

If anyone has any interest in starting some additional labelling war
against manufacturers, please count me in. I will do whatever I can to
help.

An additional thanks to everyone who encouraged me to have Grey tested
in the University of Maryland study. He came back positive. In fact, he
was one of 3 people in our area that did test positive. He will be
having his endoscopy performed this coming Thursday (8/3). Regardless of
what the biopsy shows, I will be putting him on a gluten free diet.
Thanks again to all. Thanks to all for their support and for sharing
information on this list.

If anyone has any information regarding recipes for mac and cheese,
chicken nuggets, or other "kid" foods, I would greatly appreciate it.
I'm currently scouring the web for libraries of recipes (I will compile
this and post to the list at some point).

Also, if anyone can provide information on kid snacks, like fun fruits
or other really junkie stuff they probably shouldn't be eating, but
really like..that would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks!

Andrea