From:
Medresearch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Medresearch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Dec 2005 23:00:38 -0500

The Part 1 of my summary seems to have not gone through the
first time, so I am re-sending this.

Thank you to all of you who took the time to reply.  I have been
the recipient of several interesting looking recipes (see below), but
no recommendations for a packaged corn free cranberry sauce.
When I was in Whole Foods last week, my daughter saw their 365 store brand
cranberry sauce, and it was made with cane sugar, so we bought a
couple of cans and it was very good.

For those of you interested in making your cranberry sauce or salad,
here are the recipes.  Thanks for all your answers
Paula

 I had this at our office Thanksgiving feast. I'm not sure of the exact
 can sizes. It was great.
 one can whole cranberries/whole berry sauce (about 12-15oz size)
 one can Mandarin orange pieces (about 8oz size can)
 one apple peeled, cored, diced
 handful of nuts...walnuts were used
 Mix well. Store refrigerated.
 I couldn't believe how sweet it was without any sugar added.
 The woman who made it said the recipe also called for shredded coconut,
 but she left it out. We all liked it without the coconut.
 Cranberries can be made ahead.  It is sugar, cranberries and water.
 Not at  all hard to make.
 The recipe is on every package of fresh cranberries.  If you cook it
 very slowly rather than boil it, it will jell.  If you want whole cranberry
 boil
 as directed.
 Try fresh-   My mother in law's recipe is a family staple. Take one bag
 of fresh cranberries, 1 WHOLE ORANGE (EXCEPT SEEDS) ,
 1 pear WHOLE EXCEPT THE INSIDE SEEDS, a few dates a few nuts
 and fruit sugar or regular sugar to taste.  Put it all in a blender and get
 it finely chopped.  It keeps in the frig for up to 2 weeks. We give it as
 gifts during the holidays. It gets better as it gets older.
 These may not be what you are looking for but my family loves all three
 of these cranberry relishes.  It depends on who is making them which we
 have for Thanksgiving.  I always make the chutney to serve on curried cream
 cheese at Christmas.  The salsa is great with beans and eggs.  Believe
 it or not salsa and chutney are cooking at this moment.
 Cranberry Chutney
 12 ounces fresh cranberries
 2 Tablespoons chopped candied ginger
 1 cup raisins
 1 lemon thinly sliced and quartered
 1 cup onion thinly sliced and halved
 1 cup brown sugar
 1 cup wine vinegar
 2 cloves garlic minced=20
 1 teaspoon hot pepper
 teaspoon ground cinnamon
 teaspoon ground cloves
 teaspoon ground allspice
 1 teaspoon dry mustard
 Combine all and cook over medium until cranberries are soft.

 Cranberry Salsa
 This ruby red salsa is an interesting combination of hot and sweet.  It is
 good with huevos rancheros or breakfast burritos as well as with
 Thanksgiving dinner.
 1 cup water
 1 cup sugar
 12 ounces fresh or frozen cranberries
 2 small jalapeno peppers chopped (2 tablespoons)
 1 teaspoon fresh cilantro chopped
 1 teaspoon ground cumin
 1 green onion, white and green part sliced thin
 1 teaspoon lime juice
 Mix sugar and water, add cranberries, bring to a boil.  Simmer 15 to 20
 minutes until cranberries are soft.  Do no stir.  Put in a bowl and =
 gently add the rest of the ingredients. =20
 Cover with plastic wrap putting it directly on the salsa.  Chill
 Cranberry, Pear, Ginger Relish
 1 1/2 cups fresh cranberries
 1 cup finely chopped peeled Anjou pear (about 3)
 3/4 cups orange juice
 3/4 cups dried cranberries
 1/3 cups brown sugar
 1 1/2 teaspoons dried currants or raisins
 1 1/2 teaspoons crystallized ginger
 scant 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
 Combine all in a large saucepan, bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and  simmer
10 min stirring occasionally.  Chill.