From:
Lisa Hutchinson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 11 Aug 2003 01:18:58 -0700

Dear Listmates,

Some time ago I posted a question as to whether other celiacs had problems with drug malabsorption eg) taking 4 Tylenol 3 tablets and having a serum level reading of the equivalent of just 1 tablet of acetaminophen and codeine. Several people said they also took higher than normal doses or had noticed they did not repond well to drugs.

I just saw the gastroenterologist and was told that the this is not due to my celiac causing drugs to be malabsorbed by the gut lining (ie gut lining is damaged by celiac) but due to 'induction of liver enzymes' - meaning my liver just chews drugs up quickly. I have never responded to drugs like a 'normal' person and am wondering if this is due to celiac or could be related to liver efficiency. Are they in fact related?

I have no liver damage and have taken higher levels then normal of *all* my drugs over the 15 years I had migraines to get pain relief. I take large amounts of vitamns orally and get little showing in my serum levels eg) 4000mg of B12 a day (normal person takes 25mg) just gets me in the bottom serum level of the OK lab range. I am not stick thin, which is paradoxical. I am very careful with my diet as gluten makes me sick, but am not sure my gut has healed. Gastro said I may havge refractory celiac.

Does anyone have a perspective on the liver enzyme diagnosis?

Also, my profound apologies for no summary on peripheral neuropathy recently, I saved all my replies on a new system and could not unzip them to summarise!

Sincerely,
Lisa