From:
The Notte Family <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Notte Family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Jan 2004 12:18:40 -0500

Thank you to all who responded to my post on being a vegetarian and having celiac disease. I received well over 50 replies! From what I received about 15 people have continued on being a vegetarian and about 10 have decided to add meat or seafood to their diet. Others did not say they were vegetarian or not but made helpful food suggestions to expanding my diet. Many asked for a summary so here it is.

The bulk of the replies contained very helpful suggestions, recipes and web sites that have gotten my creative juices going and renewed my interest in remaining a vegetarian while eating a GF diet and I thank each and every one of you who took the time to send me an email. The support was wonderful and I am saving the emails for future meal planning. The recent recipe exchange has been helpful too.

Here is a general recap of suggestions:

Joining a vegetarian message groups at yahoo (they even have a GF one)

Checking out a raw food web site www.living-foods-com.

Adding protein powders to beverages

Other grains to explore, buckwheat and quinoa for variety

GF Vegetarian products (meat replacements)

Franklin Farms veggie burgers www.veggiburger.com.

Hearty and Natural Red Bean veggie burger www.sunrich.com.

Quorn www.quorn.com  (tastes like chicken)

Tofu Pups www.lightlife.com

Soyrizio (not sure what this is at this point in time)

Amy's products was suggested numerous times, soups and frozen entrees and and appears to be a favorite of many who emailed me.

Exploring other ethnic cuisines such as:

African, Ethiopian, Turkish, Lebanese, Asian, Mexican, Indian

Some to of the cookbooks suggested (some recipes may not be GF)

Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian,

Diana Shaw's The Essential Vegetarian

Bette Hageman's Gluten Free Gourmet Cooks Fast and Healthy

Molly Katzen's Vegetable Heaven.

Horn of the Moon Café's cookbooks.

Moosewood Restaurant's Low-Fat Favorites

Pasta suggestions

Lundberg's brown rice pasta

Tinyada brand (I recently tried and loved)

Thanks again to all. I'm recharged with lots of fresh ideas and excited about cooking again!

Sincerely,

Joyce