From:
Linda Blanchard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jun 1997 20:24:23 -0500

I think that a substitute for Oreos has been about the most requested
kid-pleasing recipe on this list. I've spent a lot of time on this one, and
it really tastes like the real thing. I haven't gotten it to look like the
real thing -- the "black" is not as black, and it doesn't hold the pattern
impressed on it as well as an Oreo does, but you can always just close your
eyes while savoring the crunch and the flavor... please note the ingredients
for "Linda's Bread Mix" (the mix I make up for myself) is included at the
bottom. Any questions, please feel free to email me.

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                          Black & White Cookies

Recipe By     : Linda Blanchard
Serving Size  : 120  Preparation Time 1:00:00
Categories    : Cookies

                        BLACK "Biscuit"
   3/4    cup           butter -- softened
   2      ounces        unsweetened baking chocolate -- melted and cooled
   1      cup           dark brown sugar
   1 1/2  cups          Linda's Bread Mix
   1 1/2  cups          bean flour
     1/2  teaspoon      salt
   2      Tablespoons   cocoa powder
   2      teaspoons     baking soda
   4      Tablespoons   water
                        WHITE "Stuff"
   3 1/2  cups          powdered sugar
     1/2  tablespoon    granulated sugar
     1/2  teaspoon      vanilla extract
     1/2  cup           shortening
   2      tablespoons   hot water -- or more

Set out the margarine to soften (or microwave it in a safe, shallow dish on
50% for about 30 seconds). Melt the baking chocolate in a small bowl. In the
bowl of your mixer, slowly beat together the butter, melted chocolate, and
brown sugar. In a small bowl, combine bread mix, salt, cocoa powder and
baking soda. Add the dry mix alternately with the water, using just enough
water to get the dough to hold together. Cover with plastic wrap and
refrigerate at least one hour.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Lightly grease two cookie sheets. Remove the
dough from the refrigerator and put it back in your mixing bowl, and give it
a whirl on "stir" until it crumbles apart. Drizzle in just enough water to
get the dough to reform into a firm (not sticky) ball (maybe 1/2 teaspoon of
water). Roll out balls of dough (1 Tablespoon for big biscuits, 1 teaspoon
for Oreo-sized). Place the balls 1" apart on the cookie sheet. Squash the
balls under a cookie press, the bottom of a glass, or whatever kitchen
implement you find that makes an interesting pattern (try a meat
tenderizer!). Dough should be pretty flat; less than 1/4" thick. If you find
the dough sticks to your press, lightly wipe it with vegetable oil between
presses.

Bake about 15 minutes for teaspoon-sized cookies,  25 minutes for
Tablespoon-sized (cookies will not show much change in color).  Remove
immediately to a cooling rack (if you wait too long and they get stuck to
the cooky sheet, put them back in the oven for 3 minutes and then try again
to remove them -- quickly!). The cooky will get more crisp as it cools; the
end result should be one that is quite crisp (bake longer if they come out
at all flexible).

Next, combine the sugars with the shortening, then the vanilla. Add enough
hot water, a little at a time, to make a thick filling of spreading
consistency. Drop a 1/4" ball of this filling onto the flat side of a
cookie, flatten the white "stuff" a little, then smoosh the flat side of
another cookie down on top (gently, so as not to break the cookie); squish
until the white comes to the edge of the cooky.

                   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : You can leave out the "white stuff" and just make big crisp
       chocolate biscuits, which are not overly sweet, with this recipe.
       Or make smaller biscuits, add the white filling, and you have an
       excellent imitation of an Oreo cooky.

Linda's Bread Mix:
   1      cups         bean flour
   1      cups         tapioca flour
   1      cups         potato starch flour
   1      cups         almonds -- ground
   1/3  cups           buttermilk, dried
   1      Tablespoon   xanthan gum
   1/2    teaspoon     salt
   1/2    teaspoon     citric acid -- (optional)

Combine all ingredients very well.

    These recipes, like all my recipes, are copyright 1997 by Linda
    Blanchard.  I grant anyone anywhere the right to distribute
    these recipes on a one-to-one basis, or in a not-for-profit
    newsletter.  Any other use without my consent is prohibited.

--
Linda Blanchard
http://www.ccgs.com