From:
Kerri Wolfe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kerri Wolfe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Jul 2010 21:15:11 -0400

Thank you VERY MUCH to all who responded - I'm sorry I couldn't reply to
most of you but unexpectedly had to go out of town for 2 days right after I
posted and am just catching up now!

The overwhelming majority of those who responded do purchase the Udi's
products frozen.  There apparently are several other Whole Foods chains that
do sell it at room temperature, and I plan to follow up with the store to
see if they can somehow indicate the date that it is put on the shelf so
that we'd have a better idea of the expected shelf life (or maybe they
already do and I didn't see it!)  Several people also suggested that the
store should have a freezer in the back with several frozen loaves if I
request them.  It seems that at room temperature the average time to mold is
about a week (so since I'm the only GF person in my house, I'll be freezing
the bread going forward as I won't typically finish a loaf a week).  For
those in my area, Fairway in Pelham, NY apparently sells the bread frozen.
It can also be purchased frozen online.

Several people also pointed out that Udi's themselves recommend that you do
NOT store the bread in the refrigerator as it is likely to dry out and
become crumbly - freezer or room temperature storage are preferred.  Those
who froze the bread said it defrosts very quickly - 10-15 minutes at most.
And everyone who commented agreed they are the best products they have tried
in X years of being gluten free!

Thank you again for all of the help!!!