From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Oct 1998 23:50:05 EST

                        Fundraising Update<4>
                        ---------------------
      Center for Celiac Research Multi-Center Serological Study
                    Update as of September 1, 1998

The University of Maryland's Center For Celiac Research has received
approximately $190,000 in contributions and pledges.

Thanks to those of you who have made pledges and gifts, we have been
able to purchase and install a dedicated computer system.  The six (6)
regional centers have begun minimal screening of study participants.
Thanks to a partial grant provided by the University of Trieste, we
now have one of the leading international experts in antiendomysium
testing for celiac disease assisting us full time in our lab.

We have tested 1178 samples as part of the Study for the Prevalence of
Celiac Disease in the United States.  Our preliminary findings
indicate a 6% positive finding of first-degree relatives and 3.4%
positive finding of second-degree relatives of Celiacs.  These
findings are in the same range as were found in most of the European
studies done in previous years.

As we initially stated in our protocol, we will need to test a total
of 45,000 blood samples.  All the tools and players are in place - now
we need the necessary dollars to put the study into full operation.
Blood testing and shipping charges will increase significantly in
direct proportion to the samples processed.

We thank all of you who have made gifts and pledges.  The Celiac
community has been very supportive of our grass-roots fund-raising
effort.

When we began this effort back in May 1997, we suggested that if 1000
Celiacs, relatives or friends would make a commitment to pledge $200
per year for three (3) years we would be on our way to funding this
extremely important study.

To date we have received ONLY 122 pledges in the amount of $70,335.
We have also received a significant number of cash contributions, and
as previously announced we were blessed to receive a generous gift of
$50,000 from the Oberkotter Foundation.

For now, we cannot count on any financial assistance from the NIH.  So
we are once again asking YOU to please help us.  Remember, we are not
asking you to make a contribution, but to make an investment in the
well-being of every Celiac - now and in the future.

HOW?

1) If you have not made a pledge or contribution, please consider
   making one at this time.

2) If possible, increase your current pledge or make an additional
   gift.

3) Discuss the importance of this study with fellow Celiacs,
   relatives, friends or whoever might be in a position to help.  Ask
   them to contribute.

4) Organize discussions and/or fund-raising efforts with your local
   support group.

5) Help us to identify possible organizations, companies, trusts or
   foundations that might be in a position to help.  Contact Pam King,
   410-706-8021 for any questions or assistance.

All donations and pledges should be made payable to the UM Foundation,
Inc.  - Center for Celiac Research, Attention:  Pamela King, Director
of External Affairs, 700 W.  Lombard Street, Baltimore, Maryland
21201.  These funds are being managed by the UM Foundation, Inc.

Thank you again for your commitment to this invaluable research.

[Note from Mary Guerriero:  Have you considered contributing to this
valuable research?  Even if you only have $5 or $10 to spare, this
would help a lot.  If every member of our group contributed $5, that
would total up to several thousand dollars.  If that were multiplied
by the over 100 support groups around the country, the total would be
a quarter million dollars or more.  It all starts with that first $5
or $10 check.  How about you?]