Date:
Tue, 15 Jun 2004 16:24:08 -0700

I guess I was just in one of those sounding off moods when I posted how I
manage a breadless GF diet.  Someone actually asked me what I was trying
to accomplish by my post.   Was I asking for help or what????  Good
question!  LOL!  When I think about it, most of my posts are attempts to
offer information and encouragement for newbies.  I know, I know . . .
how does posting about multiple bread failures convert to offering
encouragement?  Well, I wanted to share with newbies, that you can have a
healthy, nutritious and interesting diet WITHOUT GF bread and WITHOUT
spending your entire life in the kitchen.  I guess in pop psych culture I
was trying to say, "It's OK not to bake bread!"  LOL!  That was really my
message.  While bread baking can be part of the GF diet, I don't want
newbies to believe that it is absolutely essential for a success.  I want
to encourage them to branch & think outside the sandwich-for-lunch box.
Most of the responses were the "bravo!" and "me too" types.  Others were
kind offers of help to me, the incompetent bread maker!  Here are sample
replies, recipes, etc. pretty much in the order they came to me.  I
apologize that it is so long, but I thought the respondants have good
ideas that may benefit someone reading this.
---------------
I agree. . . . I keep a commercial GF loaf in the freezer - toasted twice
it makes a functional if not terribly tasty slab for a tall sandwich on a
hike. . . I've just moved away from bread- to GF crackers, Mochi, corn
tortillas, and my own waffle mix . . . here's the latest concoction. . .
I get the ground almond meal from Trader Joes.  Not necessary, but adds
to protein and taste.

2 C. Buckwheat flour, 1/2 C. Ground almond meal, 1/2 C. brown rice flour,
1/2 C. corn meal, 1/2 C. potato starch, 1/3 C. tapioca flour, 1 to 2
teaspoon salt (to taste), 4+ teaspoon baking powder, 1 teaspoon xanthan
gum  (I have also used some soy flour - no more than 1/2 c. in this size
batch-)

To make waffles,  I combine 3/4 cup of this mix with 1 egg, 1/2 c. milk
(more or less to get proper batter thickness), and a scant tablespoon
each of oil and molassas.  For larger batches, I would go up to 1 c. mix
per egg & 1 T each oil and sweetner.  I also like to toss in a couple
tablespoons of chopped pecans.  & serve with butter and maple syrup, or
with fruit and yoghurt. NOT low fat with all the nuts and egg and
oil/butter!! Jack
--------------
I think you are right Valerie, who needs that gf bread? There are so many
carbs in it, and like you said, all the other stuff, that people are
probably much better off without it.  You can get plenty of carbs,
without breads, as you well know. : - )  I am sure that your post will
make many others think if making this stuff from scratch is worth it. I
only tried a few times and soon tired of that.  Sue
--------------
Amen
-------------
Try Kinnikinick English Muffins and Rice Tapioca Bread. I did the making
of GF bread myself for a while. Both of these, toasted of course, have
saved me time and they even taste decent.   Jeanne   RI
-------------
You are so right!! My dad was a bread salesman for the best bakery in
NYC. I was raised on the best. GF bread sucks! It is horrible.  I don't
eat it. If I must, I use rice cakes..crunchy and good to eat almond
butter on.
------------
Hooray for you Valerie. This is what I love about celiacs! You are all so
inventive. Make lemonade from lemons! I love to hear of such positive
solutions from folks like you. Keep it up. I plan to follow your example!
 Cheers, Marybethany
------------
I agree, even though I've made it, who needs it? . . .  I prefer the
leftovers myself and feel thats the way to go.  Bravo!!  Nancy
-----------
Ha!  Me either! . . . I have never found a GF bread (or bread product)
worth eating . . . never mind, actually savoring . . . We've moved on,
and are much happier letting go of the pursuit, too. . . .  ;-)  Karri
Ann
---------------
Glutino bread is great for sandwiches, the closest I've found (premium
corn bread, flax seed bread), and great donuts from Gluten free delights
---------------
I completely understand what you mean about any bread, bagels, etc.  I
felt bloated and drowsey after eating those high carb products, too.  I
gave up eating all of them. By the way, I was diagnosed a year and a half
ago at age 55.  Thank God I had a life time of "normal" eating!  The only
thing I might caution against are the Glad plastic containers; when
plastic is heated, it releases something that is carcinogenic.  I use
glass containers. Thanks for the detailed e-mail. My Best, Caryn
Gottfried  [Thanks for the warning!]
----------------
Recently we bought some KinniKinnick bread and we have used it for
sandwiches when we need to be away from home. It makes being away from
home at lunch more convenient. I've come to the conclusion that bread is
a convenience food. And, as with most conveniences, you can live without
it. But it is handy from time to time.
I have most luck with the bean flour breads. At least they don't look
anemic white. Deborah
----------------
My family is GF 9 years and none of us needs or wants bread. There is a
life beyond a bread and good one.  Cheers!  Kevin, Toronto Canada
As always, I love your posts.  This one really made me laugh.  I
completely agree.  I look for recipes by chefs I really like and which
use only foods I can eat rather than preparing fake this and fake that.
I don't eat any grains or starchy vegetables and that suits me just fine.
As far as I'm concerned, I eat really well.  Mary

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!