From:
Maureen O'Grady <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Maureen O'Grady <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Sep 2007 19:16:39 -0400

Last week I asked if anyone here had tried the new "Gluten-Free Granola" being sold at Trader Joe's stores, and mentioned our past negative experiences with TJ's allegedly GF products. Here is a summary of the resonses I received:

1 person had tried the cereal, and found things (brazil nuts) in it that were not listed in the ingredients, however, they did not have any gluten-type reaction

1 person sent me info that TJ's products are now certified by the Gluten-Free Certification Organization. THIS IS NOT CORRECT: I telephoned the organization myself to check out what the situation with TJ's is, because their corporate offices are so utterly clueless, and GFCO says only TWO TJ's products, both chips, are certified. They make no claim as to the safety of the rest of TJ's products.

25+ people wanted details on our experiences with the TJ's "GF" waffles:
 About 3 years ago, shortly after both of us were diagnosed, we began eating the TJ's house brand "Gluten-Free Banana Waffles" which were made in Canada according to the box, and had no problems with them. About 15 months ago, here in California, the waffle box design changed, and now read "Made in the USA" - we got quite sick from these waffles, as did several other celiacs I know. We stopped buying them.

However, about 3 weeks ago, I noticed TJ's has gone back to the old box design and again the waffles are being made in Canada. I contacted the west coast corporate office, and rarely have I been so convinced I was being lied to. First I was told there had never been any change in the waffles at all (huh? then why did the box and production statement change?) and then their "nutritionist" called me - I'm not sure the woman even knew what "gluten-free" meant, and she had no idea at all about the changes in the production of the waffles, let alone being able to tell me exactly where the current ones are being made. I will not be buying those waffles again, as I have no confidence at all in the info the company gave me.

I'm still interested in learning more about the "Gluten-Free Granola" so if you have tried it, please let me know what you think of it.

Maureen