From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 1997 23:33:21 -0400

Kemp Randoph wrote:

> The term  " vinegar"  by itself in a list of ingredients is supposed
> to mean (apple) cider vinegar according to Felicia Satchell of the
> FDA (talk at Baltimore meeting, transcript stored in celiac archives,
> I believe).

Felicia's talk (at the '95 ACS Celiac Conference in Baltimore) was
well-done, with a lot of good information.  However, on this one point
I believe she was not correct.  Our local support group's dietitian
advisor researched this point with other FDA contacts.  The results were
described in the Oct. '95 issue of _The Sprue-nik Press_, as follows:

---===------===------===------===------===------===------===------===---
Dorothy Vaughan, our dietitian advisor, has done some checking on two
points raised at the Baltimore conference by Felicia Satchel, a
Consumer Safety Officer working for the FDA:  1)....2) Felicia
Satchel also reported the ingredient "vinegar" must come from corn.
Dorothy's investigation has determined that this is NOT TRUE; the
ingredient "vinegar" can come from any source, including gluten-
containing grains.
---===------===------===------===------===------===------===------===---

There remains, of course, the on-going debate as to whether or not any
harmful peptides can remain in grain-distilled vinegar.  We've heard
expert opinions and anecdotal evidence being offered by many people on
both sides of this issue.  You'll have to decide for yourself whether or
not you believe vinegar derived from gluten-containing grains is safe
for celiacs or is to be avoided.  There have been many previous posts on
this issue and I encourage you to search the archives and read them.  To
get a list of all the vinegar-related posts made in 1997, send a message
to [log in to unmask] containing this line:

   SEARCH vinegar IN CELIAC FROM 97/01/01

You'll get back a list of Subjects for messages which contain the word
"vinegar", and directions on how to retrieve the individual messages.

Jim Lyles ........ <[log in to unmask]> ........ Holly, Michigan, USA