From:
sandybill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Apr 2000 11:29:50 -0700

At 02:53 PM 4/29/2000 Cheryl wrote:

>I have had bad reactions that lasted a few days and took
>me a week to recover.

Cheryl, that happened to me a week ago too. I ate something I'd been eating
for years with no problems and within two hours I was bad off. Usually with
a bad accident I'm over it at leas by the end of the third day. This time
it was still getting worse at the end of the third. And terrible stomach
cramps. I now know well the variations in pattern on each and every tile on
the floor in the smallest room.

It really worried me. I wondered if it were getting worse, or if I were
developing new intolerances, or if something were bad wrong with my
intestines, or food poisoning, or witchcraft.

Well, turned out that this is going around right now: an intestinal flu
that is the worst I've had for decades. It seems to be all over the country.

Just reminding you that sometimes it can be something else. But I also
liked the suggestion  that you could be lactose intolerant. Most new
celiacs should consider lactose intolerance if they have a lot of problems
that gluten doesn't seem to explain adequately, since most of us, whether
we know it or not, are likely to be lactose intolerant for the first year
or two till we learn to eat right and give the gut a chance to heal.

But: This too shall pass. -vance