From:
Deborah Byrne <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deborah Byrne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Nov 2002 13:26:19 -0500

Hi; I am the mother of 4 children.  Three are biopsy diagnosed , antibody
positive celiacs.  My 4th child, age 14, has had 3 outbreaks in the past
year of red itchy bumps.  They are not typical D.H. in that they don't go
through a clearly blister stage.  They start out almost like a tiny pimple
on forarms, knees a few on backs of hands.  They become very itchy and look
almost like a mosquito bite before spreading out and melting together into
large areas of dermatitis.  The itching drives him nuts.  Takes about 3
weeks to run its course.  First time it was diagnosed as chiggers, or
contact dermatitis i.e. poison ivy, second time, treated for scabies, third
time taken to dermatologist who biopsied a lesion.  The results not
conclusive.  No significant IGA antibodies seen on immunofloresence.
Pathologist said could be granuloma annulare but not conclusive for that
either.  I had the family practice doctor order a celiac panel.  Anyone out
there with D.H. had a similar experience? How many of you are antibody
positive? We are tryiing to get a good diagnosis.  He doesn't want to be
gluten free if he doesn't have to.  He eats gluten in varying amounts
because our dinners tend to be G.F. Thanks for you help.