From:
Kari Lillehaug <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Apr 1998 23:19:12 +0000

Hello listmates!
     I posted a mail about a week ago, where I asked if anyone else
had digestive problems with avocados. I was not specific about my
reactions. About 30 or 45 minutes after eating avocado, I get stomach
cramps, heavy rumbling and I feel really sick. It lasts 4 - 5 hours.
I didn't have these reactions to avocado before I went on the diet.
(Well, then I constantly had similar problems, but not particularly
after having eaten avocado.)
     Nearly 20 people responded to my question, thanks so much to
every one of you. Some reported they had no problems with avocado.
Several do have. Some report stomach cramps, one gets a burning
sensation in the throat.
     Some suggested I should investigate what I had eaten with the
avocado. The last time I had plain avocado with salt and pepper, and
it had to be the avocado itself. One askes whether I have allergy
against latex/rubber products. I have not.
     Five of the persons responding have a theory that the reactions
people with CD have on avocado is because of its high fat content.
One can not eat food containing sulphites (grapes, wine) and other
produce and products that have been  grown or processed with
sulphites. She has suspected that maybe avocados are one of those
foods.

Well, I am not alone - a knowledge which gives great comfort.

Kari from Norway