From:
Catherine Bertrand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Oct 2000 23:53:33 -0700

Hi guys, I will summarize tomorrow, have gotten some good responses,
very informative!  But I realized a couple errors I made in my original
post.   Wanted to correct those.

In describing my celiac son, I said his 2nd biopsy was negative after 6
months of gluten - that should have read of being gluten-free, so his
biopsies are "by the book" - positive on gluten, negative off gluten.
Further, the tests my daughter had run were the

A) tissue transglutaminase antibody, IgA, for which the result was 3.
   In the adult reference range this is negative.  I can't seem to find
pediatric values on this.  Can anyone help with this one - she is 5
years old.

B) Antigliadin Antibody IgA, which came up 2.  This is negative by the
   adult values, but positive by the pediatric values.

C) Antigliadin Antibody IgG, which was "sky high" at 58.  Adult ranges
   list strongly positive at 30 - pediatric values call 3 strongly
   positive.

So... my reading has led me to realize that I should have a more
comprehensive panel done, including testing for the genetic markers, HLA-
DQ alpha and HLA-DQ beta, nutritional assessment, endomysial antibody
testing, but I will include this in my summary.

Till then, any help with getting the pediatric values for tTG test would
be appreciated.  Thanks!

Catherine in AZ

P.S.  Spoke to the GI today.  She says since she is not failing to
thrive, and has no symptoms, she isn't going to rush anything and we can
wait for her next available appt... in December.  This is EXACTLY what
she said when we brought in my son, with his chronic vomiting and
diarrhea - she said that since he was happy and active, and on the
growth chart, she didn't want to rush anything.  I am taking her a
truckload of info about untreated celiac disease tomorrow.  December my
foot!