From:
A Gilliland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 1 Feb 2003 18:07:25 -0800

Hi All--

It's a long subject line for what I hope will be a
short email.

First, what is it about hydrolized vegetable protein
that is dangerous to celiacs? (I'm pretty sure I found
this info somewhere two years ago, but forgot where).

Second, for those of you with multiple food
sensitivities or leaky gut, is it common for someone
to quite suddenly become extremely intolerant of
something like chicken? I bought a fresh Tyson chicken
and cooked it in my crock pot with just potatoes -
didn't add any seasonings. After my first meal, I had
one of the most serious gluten attacks I'd had in
almost two years. I thought it was something else I'd
eaten earlier in the day (avacado dip), so the next
day, I didn't eat anything out of the ordinary and had
chicken for supper...and another gluten incident.
Still not convinced, I went out to eat at my favorite
Thai restaurant last night and had my usual gf dish,
which has chicken in it. The pain and bloating wasn't
severe, but noticable. This seems very curious to
me...any ideas?

Thirdly, and lastly, at my favorite Thai restaurant,
there are bottles of Kikkoman (sp?) soy sauce on all
of the tables. I questioned the waitress about the soy
sauce they use in their meals, thinking I might order
something different. She promptly brought out two big
bottles of two different soy sauces and let me read
the labels - both were gf. Only the soy sauce on the
tables contained gluten. So, my point to anyone
wanting to venture out, don't just assume that the
chef cooks with what's on the table in Asian
restaurants...ask. The waitress talked to the chef and
took my restaurant card to him/her. She told me that
the chef was certain that they did not cook with the
ingredients which would harm me - but he did wonder
about the HVP.

Cheers,
Ayn/AL