Date:
Sun, 26 Nov 2006 12:23:50 -0800

Well, that question certainly opened up a can of
worms! It will take me a century to cut and paste, so
here are the high points:

Potato Vodka is okay, as most of us know. Wine, the
same, except for wine coolers, which are suspect.
Interestingly, we are split on whether or not the
distillation process renders grains "GF". But if we
can't eat candy (cake, cookies) with a bit of
alcohol-cut vanilla flavor, if your personal intestine
won't handle distilled vinegar, you need to back off
of the distilled-grain stuff. The toxicity of any
alcohol was addressed repeatedly.

There may be either something else going on causing
pain, or the alcohol itself is causing it. Then again,
she may just be using "pain" as an excuse. I kept
certain details to myself, but yes, she's been a
drinker since we were teenagers.

Many replies addressed the damaged digestive system
question, as I had originally asked. I was surprised
at how many of us can't even handle the wine at a
wedding.
I really thought I was the only one. Something to
think about. It's possible she needs to let things
heal before re-introducing alcohol (in moderation).

However - drinking in a bar brings up other issues.
The only place I've ever had a drink is at the
officers club at Langley AFB, which is very, very
clean; I've never been in a "bar", which is why I
asked for help. The points brought up amazed me:  Are
the glasses truly clean? Are they washing the pretzel
bowls in the same water as the glasses? Are they
combining that last smidgen of non-GF alcohol with the
stuff you know is GF? Is it the mixer (Coke, seltzer,
whatever) that's tearing her up? Does the guy putting
pretzels in the bowl wash his hands carefully before
handling your glass, our just wipe his (her) hands on
a towel, then clean your glass with it? These are all
very good points.

Last but not least, for those of you who were kind and
helpful enough to offer your own stories of the
heartbreak you or your family have/has gone through,
I'd like to thank you again. You have my eternal
respect for sharing things that had to be tough to
reveal, and to repay that I will follow up on the many
suggestions of going to Al-Anon meetings.

Kathy

Live now, age later!  Anti-aging supplements, dietary supplements, and
vitamins.
Visit  http://www.hubbellhealth.unfranchise.com/