From:
Latimer Kells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Nov 2001 06:46:56 -0500

A while ago there was discussion about Godiva chocolate being non-GF and
Valrhona chocolate being GF.  At least that was my understanding of the
posts at the time (it was several months ago).  I very rarely purchase
chocolate, but bought a bar of Valrhona milk chocolate to celebrate an
occasion.  I read the ingredients when I got home and was surprised to
see that there was a suspicious ingredient (I believe it was malt, but
it was several months ago and I have since disposed of the chocolate
bar).  I went on-line and wrote to Valhrona, explaining that I had
celiac disease and requesting information on the GF status of this
product.  I didn't hear from them until yesterday.  Below is a copy of
their response:

"Thank you for your interest in Valrhona Chocolates.  We do not
recommend that you eat this type of product as you have an allergy to
it."

Now, it's odd that they choose the word "allergy," because that would
imply that they do not understand what celiac disease is.  But, on the
other hand, they seem to be saying that Valrhona milk chocolate bar is
NOT GF.

1)  Wanted to alert all of you to this.

2)  Does anyone have any better information from Valrhona?

Latimer