From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Jan 1996 23:50:04 EST

                          Gluten-Free Breads
                          ------------------
                       a talk by Sandra Leonard
                       summarized by Lynn Samuel

Sandra Leonard is the proprietor of the Gluten-Free Baker newsletter.
She spoke at the 1995 CSA/USA conference on October 5, 1995, in San
Francisco, California.  Her talk was summarized by Lynn Samuel in the
December 1995 newsletter published by the Midlands Chapter 13 Support
Group, a chapter of CSA/USA.  That summary is reprinted here.

This was an EXCELLENT and entertaining presentation at the CSA
conference, given by Sandra Leonard, proprietor of the Gluten-Free
Baker newsletter in Fairborn, Ohio.  This charming lady has a
wonderful sense of humor and I thoroughly enjoyed her presentation,
even though I felt I was out of my element.  Owning a bread machine, I
felt I was at the wrong place listening to tips on making bread from
scratch manually!  But, it was worth it.

We were told that each brand of rice flour works differently.  Betty
Hagman's recipes call for Ener-G rice flour.  Oriental rice flour is
ground finer and requires less liquid.  Sandra recommends cutting the
liquid in half to start out.  Following recipe directions, initially
add 1/2 the amount required, then add more liquid gradually to form
the proper consistency.  All ingredients should be at room
temperature.

The latest bean flour available from Authentic Foods consists of broad
beans and garbanzo beans.  It is quite absorbent.  She bakes with it.

Sandra states that proofing the yeast is essential.  To do this, take
a pinch of sugar from the recipe, pour warm water (as stated earlier,
using 1/2 the liquid to proof), sprinkle yeast on top of warm water,
and stir to dissolve.  Set aside.  (It will get frothy and look like a
shake).  Salt inhibits yeast from rising, so add more sugar if there's
lots of salt in the recipe.

Mix the dry ingredients well, using a wire whisk rather than beating.
Add the wet ingredients in stages:  1) eggs, 2) shortening, butter, or
oil, 3) yeast and water mixture, 4) other liquids (dough may be sticky
to the touch), 5) may add more liquid now.  The dough should be the
consistency of a thick batter, like a quick bread or thick muffin mix
which is sticky, not kneadable.

Place the bread dough into a greased loaf pan.  Wet your hand or
finger, then take the dough off.  Using a wet finger, smooth the top
across the dough and into the corners.  It's best to use insulated
bakeware that has a cushion of air between two layers.  There is less
chance of burning.

To make rolls, use round cookie cutters and keep them on when baking.
Grease a pan or cookie sheet, and spread dough with a wet hand.  After
using grease or Pam, put plastic wrap over the dough to rise.  Let it
rise about 45-90 minutes (or more if necessary, depending on the
temperature), and then bake!  Be sure to remove the plastic first.

If the bread is browning too much, you can make a foil tent with the
shiny side up.

When the bread is done, remove it from the oven and place it on a wire
rack to cool.  Spray Pam on the knife if you plan to slice it while
warm.

If you prefer a softer crust, brush the top with butter or margarine
before baking.  If you add ingredients like raisins or nuts, dust them
with rice flour and mix well.

If you like, you can use parchment paper (using a clothespin to hold
it to the side of the pan), or re-usable teflon paper.

Sandra made delicious "Almost Cheese Nip Crackers" which she shared.
The recipe is in one of the Gluten-Free Baker newsletters, and back
issues were available to be purchased.  She is obviously a very good
cook and enjoys her job!