From:
Deb & Eric <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deb & Eric <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Aug 2007 08:17:00 -0400

~ here is a break down of the Celiac panel test.  You could also call the
Lab (which I am not familiar with) and ask for an explanation.  (I did this,
but as I said, they weren't able to explain why it was run)

Celiac Blood Tests

Here are the tests and explanation of what they are.  There are a total of 6
tests that can be run for Celiac disease.

(1)  Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgA

(2)  Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgG

(3)  Anti-Tissue Transglutaminase (tTg) IgA

(4)  Total serum IgA

(5)  Anti-Tissue Transglutaminase (tTg) IgG

(6)  Endomesial Antibody (EMA) IgA

Note that AGA is simply the abbreviation for Anti-Gliadin antibody.  TTg is
the Tissue transglutimase and

EMA for Endomeisial antibody.  Sometimes you see the letters instead.
Because writing and saying the words

is a pain.

The tests with IgA test for the IgA antibody in the system.

The IgG tests test for IgG antibodies in the system.

The most indicative tests of Celiac are the tTg-IgA(number 3 above) and the
EMA(number 6 above).

What is often referred to as the "Celiac Disease Panel"consistes of the
first 4 tests above.

These are the "standard" tests that should always be run to test for Celiac
disease.

Number 4-Total Serum IgA is critical to include.  This will tell you if the
body is able to produce IgA antibodies.

Some people(10% of the population) can't produce the IgA antibodies and are
considered IgA deficient.

If you cannot produce IgA antibodies, the IgA tests above(# 1, 3 and 6) will
not come back positive for

Celiac disease, even if you have Celiac disease.  Therefore, you have to
reply on the IgG numbers.

They usually only run #5 if Total Serum IgA indicates a deficiency and /or
if the AGA IgG(#2 above)

is the only one that is abnormally high.

The EMA(#6) is very sensitive for CD.  However, it is a test that is more
difficult to read;

meaning that you have to have an experienced lab tech reading the results or
there could be an error.

The tTg-IgA test is more "idiot proof" in the lab and cheaper to do, so it
has become more of the standard instead

of the EMA.

You can have both done, but it isn't necessary.

~Our daughter was half dead with celiac and on her 4th doctor when a celiac
friend diagnosed her.  If it was a symptom other than diarrhea or bowel
cancer, she had it, all of them.  Her IgA was borderline but they did not do
a total IgA so I have no idea what they were grading against.  We are stuck
with Quest which is an HMO dirtbag type lab that has foul up several tests
over the years. Her Endomesial was negative.  However her IgG was positive.
This does not surprise me.  I have read that while IgA is more celiac
specific (whatever that means), IgG is more sensitive and therefore more
accurate.  I wish Dr. Green or somebody else who is really medical & up on
this stuff would explain this on the list for all of us non-scientists.  My
husband was borderline on everything; I was low positive on IgG also.  We
have all benefited from going gluten free.  He had the least symptoms, then
me, then our daughter was worst. Both of us came up with 2 copies of one
particular gene, so our daughter got one of his and one of mine, so of
course has double the symptoms, his and mine.

Special thanks to everyone that replied.

*******
*******