From:
Scott Adams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Jul 1999 18:42:15 -0700

Hello Everyone,

I was browsing the Internet today and found this under the "Celiac Disease
(Nontropical Sprue)" section of the Discovery Channel's new health web page
at http://www.discoveryhealth.com/

"Prognosis - Celiac disease sometimes goes into spontaneous remission in
children around age 5, causing only occasional symptoms. In others, strict
adherence to a gluten-free diet can lead to healing of the small intestine."

While it is true that there have been documented cases of transient gluten
intolerance in children, the actual number of these cases is very, very
small, and I do not believe worth mentioning on this particular site. The
site almost implies that one should keep feeding your kid gluten even after
diagnosis, and that if their symptoms disappear then they must have gotten
better, or be in this seemingly large "spontaneous remission" group.  I
think this statement reflects the widespread and incorrect belief by many
people, including some doctors, that kids can, or often do, grow out of
celiac disease.

Scott Adams - San Francisco, USA
Celiac Support Page:
http://www.celiac.com/