From:
Betsy Linn Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Betsy Linn Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 2004 23:42:47 -0500

Listmates,

In defense of hospitals.  I was an emergency admission to a local
hospital last year.  I was very sick and had to deal with all of
this.  A gluten-free diet was ordered.  A dietitian visited.  The
dietary folks were familiar with GF diets and had the diet on the
check list.

Their understanding of the GF diet had a few gliches, but they did
work with me closely.  The dietary list was usually marked correctly.
Unfortunately, the problem of contamination and need for checking
brand names was not part of the planning.  I got rice crispies--the
regular kind which are not GF and cream of rice cereal which was not
labeled and could have easily been cream of wheat.  The breakfast
eggs, meats and potatoes were all ok.

I had a friend bring me a box of GF cereal, some rice crackers, and
arrowroot cookies.  These provided back up for the fillers/starches
that I needed and fit in the areas that might be the biggest problem.
A support group member graciously checked out the hospital brand of
soft drinks for me and they were gluten-free.

Most lunches and dinners were ok.  Occasionally there was a
gliche--cornbread which the dietary person thought would be ok.
Logically right, but wrong with the recipe using cornmeal and wheat
flour.  I called anytime there was an "error"/glich and the
plate/item was quickly and graciously replaced.  If there was a
problem, as they were out of the plain item I was called and worked
out the substitute with the staff.  There was always plenty of fresh
fruit available to supplement the foods served.

I survived three weeks with less problems than I had ever envisioned.
Yes I was in a facility that at least knew about GF diets and was
trying.  My words of wisdom--be patient and remember that as celiacs
we have to be patient teachers.  This will always be until all health
professionals are well versed in celiac disease--we are not there
yet.  There is a long way to go.  Beginnings have been made.  The
critical point is that I survived three weeks of a GF diet in the
hospital.

Nurses are great, but you need to work with the dietitian directly.
Call or ask for the dietitian and be persistent in your request.  For
elective/scheduled admissions you should meet with the dietitian
prior to admission and after you are admitted.

Medications, another story.....  I have a major problem with drug
companies doing the third party cop-out.  My doctor did write an
order for me to take my own medications from home.  These had all
been checked and double checked.  This problem area was minimized.

Betsy
Austin, Texas